Last week my friend, Jamison, asked me to make a recipe for a pizza sandwich. I gave it a whirl. I didn’t use the standard pizza toppings but you could easily modify the innards to tempt your taster. But you should give this one a whirl too because it was yummers.
INGREDIENTS – Makes 2 LARGE sandwiches
1 ball Pizza dough (can be purchased at grocery store or local pizzeria)
1 Tbsp mayonaise
3 Tbsp pesto (I used store bought)
3 Roma tomatoes
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp olive oil
- Thinly slice tomatoes and marinate in balsamic vinegar for 1 hour
- Pre-heat bbq on low
- Divide the dough in 4 equal sections
- Roll out each portion on a floured surface. You want this thin.
- Place dough bbq grill and allow to cook on one side until large bubbles form
- Flip dough over. Watch carefully. Remove it when it is nice and golden.
- Mix pesto and mayonnaise in a small bowl
- Spread a thin layer of pesto mayonnaise on one side of the dough
- Next add a layer of tomatoes
- Add a layer of slice mozzarella
- Top with the second piece of pizza dough
- Brush olive oil on the top
- If you have a panini maker go ahead and use that but if not: grill sandwich on a skillet and place another heavy skillet on top to press the sandwich down.
- When the first side is golden, flip over and cook the second.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes and ENJOY! This is a big sandwich so feel free to share.