Design Eat Play » jewelry photography cooking life

Masthead header

Addictive Peanut Butter Balls

AKA, crack cocaine. Crunchy, sweet, a little salty. Perfection.

These photos are from the second, count it, second batch I made in ONE WEEK. The first, and only other time that I had these little heaven-sent nuggets was in 4th grade at health day in school. Shout out to Whitmore Elementary in Tucson, AZ, circa 1989. I have remembered the addictive flavor and texture for…I guess that makes it about 21 years now. We were all supposed to be running and testing our flexibility but I was the creepy kid at the food station begging the volunteer mom for more. If I had the street smarts back then that I do now I probably would have come back in disguises to really stock up.

Fast forward 21′ish years to a time when I enjoy cooking, or in this case, mixing and can afford my own peanut butter. Agh the glory days. I was a little concerned that it was maybe just nostalgia that made these so addicting to me but a few friends were over this weekend and confirmed that they are yummy. Dang them for eating my stash though. I kid. I kid.

The typical recipe calls for a little more honey than I prefer. I use reduced-fat peanut butter which is a little sweeter anyway. Mom’s this is a great recipe to do with your kids. Let them mix and shape. Non-moms…still totally fun. I made them a little healthier too. They make for a great snack that leaves you feeling full and satisfied for a long time. They can also give you a little boost of energy before a big workout.

INGREDIENTS

1 cup reduced fat peanut butter

1 cup fat-free powdered milk

1/2 cup honey (I use 1/4 cup)

DIRECTIONS

Pour everything into a medium size mixing bowl and stir away until well blended.

Now, take about 2 tbsp (about the size of a ping pong ball) and roll into a ball with your CLEAN hands.

Place on a plate and put in the refrigerator for an hour or so until set.

Put into plastic bags and never share with your friends again.

NOTE: You once these are made into balls you can roll in coconut, nuts, chocolate chips or whatever your heart desires.

FB+TWEET+PIN+LINK+SUBSCRIBE
Tuesday, March 16, 2010 - 11:10 am

Bridgette - Drake and I are going to try these today! They sound so yummy!

Tuesday, March 16, 2010 - 4:44 pm

Crissie McDowell - Let me know how they turn out! My bro is going to make them too! I wish I was making them right now, or better yet eating them.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010 - 11:22 pm

Missus M - What a strange coincidence. I clicked on your recipe from FoodGawker. I went to Whitmore Elem in Tucson in the 70′s.

Howdy, fellow alum!

Tuesday, March 16, 2010 - 11:41 pm

Memoria - Couldn’t dads and other caretakers make these with the kids or is that only for the moms? hmmm Anyway, these peanut balls look delcious. I bet they would be good dipped in chocolate, too! If you made these twice in one week, I’m convinced!

Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 8:47 am

Crissie McDowell - Thanks for your comments!

Missus M…what a SMALL world! I loved Whitmore!

Memoria…oh yes! All non-moms meaning men, women, grandparents, kids…the works. It’s such a fun and easy recipe. I hope you enjoy! I am craving right now.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 10:10 am

Hollan - I have made these with the kids as edible play-dough. Mmmmmm, love it!

Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 3:13 pm

Kira - I just made these. They are GREAT! I used a handmixer and they were very smooth. I am going to feature them on my blog kiracooks.blogspot.com

Wednesday, March 17, 2010 - 3:16 pm

Crissie McDowell - Oh what a good idea Kira! I never thought of using a mixer. Der. I will do that next time. Which will probably be tonight.

Friday, March 19, 2010 - 8:18 am

Brook - Yummy. I think baby wants these! I miss you – we should get together.

Friday, March 26, 2010 - 2:27 am

Jenna - Found these via foodgawker, and just made them. Very excited to find out what the PB lover in my life thinks.

Friday, March 26, 2010 - 2:45 pm

E - Seeing these is a great blast from the past. I remember “cooking” these in elementary school.
Thanks for the reminder – they looks so yummy.
And I love your photos!

Friday, March 26, 2010 - 3:09 pm

crissie - E – Oh man isn’t it true? I have made, and devoured 3 batches SINCE this post. Eeks. But SOOOO good.

Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 10:19 pm

Jess - Thanks so much for this recipe, my Dad truly loves it. He will get many of these tomorrow.
You know what they say, the way to a man’s heart is threw his stomach, thanks for a little extra help ;)

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 - 2:50 am

Music Instruments - Thanks for the info

Sunday, February 26, 2012 - 11:18 am

Patricia - Just made these and they are awesome. Definately will have to make more for my friends at the gym. Thanks

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *